Thursday, 19 January 2012

An open sketchbook


Many people have asked me about what I did before Sesame and Lilly was created last year, well I spent 10 years designing for the High Street.
I was mainly a print designer but have also done garment design, alongside trend prediction.

 

Over my time, I worked very hard and was lucky enough to  become a senior designer working for such brands as River Island, Miss Selfridge and Topshop to name a few!


Over the years that i have worked my way up the career ladder, I have  had a lot of fun getting there -alongside working hard and taking risks.

One of my favourite highlights of my career was being able to travel around the world to shop, research and hang out with amazing people.

After moving away from London and full-time design work, I am now freelance and still work for some amazing brands all from my studio in the north.

One of my latest projects was to design the graphics for Chloe Green (daughter of Sir Phillip Green) new shoe brand that is to be launched this year.


I have learnt over the 10 years that you can find inspiration in anything and everything, and the best way to keep this inspiration is in sketchbooks-something that i have done since my univeristy days.

 I wanted to share with you some images from sketchbooks that have been kept over the years-Sesame and Lilly sketchbooks are also being kept but more from those in another post.

See if you can spot any prints that you may have bought over the years from your favourite high street stores!


One of the biggest thrills of my job i always found, was sitting on the tube, bus, train or stood in a bar or shop, next to a girl wearing one of my designs when she truly has no idea that i drew what she was wearing.

A feeling that, to this day, still makes me smile.
x







7 comments:

  1. Wow! Brilliant- a difficult industry To break into right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! But fun once you are in it-though it seems so much harder now than when i started.I had so many wonderful design students that i would love to have given a job but so many companies can't afford to employ people at the moment-shame as there are some very talented people out there!x

      Delete
  2. What beautiful prints. I love making sketch books or mood boards with my inspiration :-) So much fun. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you :)
    i love making sketchbooks and looking at other peoples-so personal-i love seeing peoples thought process for designing!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! love your sketchbooks...how cool to see poeple wearing your prints x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sketchbooks, I love how you have put your prints in dress shapes on actual photos, that's really effective. I am a lingerie designer so never had the chance to notice my designs on other people but I bet the feeling is wonderful... lovely blog I am definitely a follower xKx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely being a lingerie designer-do you have your own label or work for a company? One of my best friends is the designer for Myla underwear-so lovely!
      x

      Delete